You are here: Home / Forum / RPG Group Discussions / U1+ - Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh

U1+ - Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh

by Hawke last modified Jun 11, 2016 06:24 PM
Up to RPG Group Discussions

U1+ - Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh

Posted by Hawke at June 11. 2016

My youngest son asked me to help his group learn a little more of the basics of party cohesion and better ROLE-playing, by my DMing his group for a while.

I waded through some of my classic modules, and decided to start them with U1 - The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh (with potentially continuing them on with U2 & U3, as well as potentially linking L1 & L2, and/or the UK series).

We are using AD&D 1st Edition with UA and my various house rules, and richer background creation process.

I set this in the recommended World of Greyhawk setting.

I also incorporated the Game of Thrones (GoT) based A Song of Ice and Fire Role-Playing Game, Rules for House Building, adapted to a Greyhawk setting instead of GoT setting. This worked VERY well for increasing the party cohesion before even starting game play (as I have noted in other blog & forum postings). I definitely I am going to try to make this part of my standard house rules for all longer groups in the future, it really helps, especially with younger groups. Not much point for short campaigns and Pick-Up Games (PUGs), but good for my preferred longer campaigns.

Their house is along the banks of the Nyr Dyv.

They have come down to the Saltmarsh area for several reasons. 1. for the wedding of some lesser related cousins, and 2. to pick up some prized fish eggs for their House's lord. Thirdly (secretly) they are there to investigate the rumors of a stash of alchemists gold, to see if they could enrich their house.

Re: U1+ - Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh

Posted by Hawke at June 11. 2016

ontinuing the new campaign with "Drake's Group", teens 14 to 17. This is session #4

A classic 1st Edition Greyhawk campaign. Starting with the U1 through U3 modules.

Started as 1st level AD&D 1st Edition (with some of "Hawke's House Rules") including Unearthed Arcana, Dungeoneer's Survival Guide, Wilderness Survival Guide, and some early Dragon Magazine added rules, and Hawke's detailed character creation background checklist (as perhttp://spokanerpg.com/archives/rules-mods archives).

Also uses adapted "House Building" rules from A Song of Ice & Fire (Game of Thrones) RPG adapted to Greyhawk setting.

Meets Saturdays 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm. Group first began last summer with other campaigns.

Drake is usual DM, but I have been asked to help with setting up a long-term connected campaign to help them learn how to play more than PUG-style gaming with ROLE-playing instead of ROLL-playing.

Will post if any seats open up, though likely only for those of similar age to the other teenage players.

First session was rich character backgrounds creation & "House" creation, April 23rd, 2016.

Second session was finishing PC backgrounds and additional House details, and beginning of adventure, settling into Saltmarsh, the wedding, and first exploration of the exterior of the Mansion. 

Happy Gaming!

House name:

House motto: "  "

House location: This group's house is on a small peninsula on the shore of the NyrDyv.

House resources:

Last session the group pretty much cleared the whole first floor. They went back to town to recuperate before returning to investigate the upper and lower levels.